Advice for accommodation providers

Guidance and advice for those providing hotel and other accommodation in the UK published on 24 March

Businesses providing holiday accommodation (including hotels, hostels, B&Bs, campsites, caravan parks, boarding houses and short term lets) should now take steps to close for commercial use as quickly as is safely possible.

Full consideration should be given to the possible exclusions for residents that should be allowed to remain. Any decision to close should be implemented in full compliance with the social distancing guidelines.

What the exclusions mean

Hotels and other accommodation providers should be able to remain open if:

– They are part of the response to support key workers or vulnerable groups.

– There is a specific need for some or all of the site to remain open (for example they are housing people who have been flooded out of their homes, being used by public services to provide emergency accommodation or are not able to return to their primary residence).

– If businesses are providing rooms to support homeless people, through arrangements with local authorities and other public bodies, they should remain open.

– If a holiday park or caravan park is your primary residence you can remain on site.

Guidance for hotels serving food

Hotels and accommodation providers that are remaining open to house key workers, vulnerable groups and other exempted groups will still be able to serve food, subject to the social distancing guidelines (for example by providing a takeaway service, ‘grab and go’ service or room service)

Read further guidance for non-essential travel during the coronavirus pandemic

Published 24 March 2020 –

Advice for employers and employees

If you require any advice regarding your employees throughout the current COVID-19 situation, advice can be found on the following website: